Thursday 23 August 2007

GrandCentral could not port over numbers

This has got to be painful for a service that promises you one number for life. GrandCentral, one of the latest Google acquisitions, that offers you one number for life that rings on all your phones has been forced to change some of their customers’ phone numbers. Due to problems with one of their upstream providers, GrandCentral could not port over some 400 numbers to another carrier and was forced to assign these customers a new phone number.

Even though GrandCentral immediately informed the affected users and assigned them a new number this will affect the credibility of the service. Users were only given notice 10 days in advance and will no longer be able to use their new number as of 31 August.

“Having to change my number would be very disruptive and a huge hassle. The possibility of this happening has become my biggest hesitation with fully embracing and using my GrandCentral number,” said Ben Spinks, practice manager at Tipp City Veterinary Hospital in Ohio. “I have gone so far as to include it in my business e-mail signatures, but I am still nervous about getting my business cards reprinted.”

No comments: